How to Self-Administer Wegovy, Mounjaro, or Ozempic Injection
- Gather your supplies: This will typically include your pre-filled injection pen and an alcohol pad.
- Clean your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Choose your injection site. This can be your abdomen (around your belly button but not the 2-inch area directly around it), thigh, or upper arm.
- Clean the injection site with an alcohol wipe and let it air dry.
- Administer the Injection:
- Remove the cap from the pen to reveal the pre-attached needle.
- Pinch the skin at the injection site.
- Hold the pen like a dart, and insert the needle into the pinched skin at a 90 degree angle.
- Press the injection button at the end of the pen until it stops moving and hold it for the recommended time (usually about 5-10 seconds) to make sure the full dose is administered.
- Lift the pen straight out without sliding it along your skin.
- Recap the pen without touching the needle. The needle is for single use and should not be reused.
- Store the pen as directed. Do not store it with the needle attached.
- Apply a band-aid to the injection site if necessary.
- Monitor the site for any signs of redness, swelling, or infection.
- If you experience any adverse reactions, such as nausea, vomiting, rapid heartbeat, or difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately.
Safety is crucial when administering injections at home. A healthcare professional should be the one to administer the injection. Self-administration should only be done under the guidance and approval of a healthcare provider.